Tips to Prevent and Treat Sun Damage to Your Skin
So you had a great summer. Just like last year, the year before, and, in fact, every year of your life. At Sanders Medical in Vernon, we see a lot of patients who are now looking for ways to treat sun-damaged skin.
Every time you step outside, you risk letting UVA rays penetrate and damage the deep tissues and blood vessels in your skin. Both UVA and UVB rays can wreck your skin’s DNA. The result? Premature aging and an increased risk of skin cancer.
Here in the Okanagan, skin care is especially important. At any age, time of year and activity, you can protect your skin to keep it healthy and looking younger.
Tips to Prevent Sun Damage
- Use a lot of the right sunscreen. You can protect your skin from UVA and UVB rays with a broad-spectrum sunscreen containing an SPF of at least 30. Apply at least half an hour before you go outside, include easily overlooked areas like your neck and ears, and re-apply every one to two hours. When patients see us for skin care treatment in Vernon, we often recommend a facial moisturizer with built-in SPF for everyday wear that won’t be too oily for your face.
- Stay inside from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. These are the sun’s peak hours. That means UV rays are at their most intense, even on gray, overcast days.
- Cover up. It’s easy to stay and look cool in today’s fashions. Find a funky hat, designer shades and some loose, long-sleeved cotton tops with colourful patterns.
- Chairs with built-in umbrellas offer easy shade at the beach or the soccer field.
- Get a sunless tan. If you absolutely can’t give up that bronzed look, our Okanagan skin care specialists suggest spray tans that offer that just-back-from-Mexico look but none of the skin damage. Find your sunless tan in a bottle, cream, lotion or booth—just avoid tanning beds: they triple your risk of getting the deadliest form of skin cancer, melanoma.
Ways to Treat Sun Damage
If you suspect your skin has sun damage, see a Vernon dermatology specialist or physician so we can help you treat your sun-damaged skin early. If you’re looking for ways to reduce the appearance of sun damage, our North Okanagan skin and laser clinic offers the following treatments:
- PDT/Levulan. Photodynamic therapy uses light waves to activate Levulan, a proven treatment to give you smoother, more even-toned skin.
- ProFractional Skin Rejuvenation uses an innovative laser technique that cause your underlying collagen to rebuild itself. Lines and wrinkles caused by sun damage are smoothed for dramatic results without the down time.
- Sciton Profile Microlaser Peel is the best tool to improve the look of your sun-damaged skin. As one of our most popular anti-aging treatments in Vernon, this peel can fade pigments, age marks, fill fine lines and leave your skin smooth and lax.